As the New Year comes closer, most of us sit down and make a list of resolutions that we will follow for the next year.
At Mayfield Dental Care, we are no different. At the end of each year, we re-dedicate ourselves to our core principles; the principles that help us provide top-quality dental care to all our patients.
First, we resolve to follow the dental code of conduct set forth by the Dental Board of Australia.
At Mayfield Dental Care we recognise the “duty to make the care of patients or clients [our] first concern and to practise safely and effectively. Maintaining a high level of professional competence and conduct is essential for good care.”
The code contains important standards for practitioner behaviour in relation to:
- providing good care, including shared decision-making
- working with patients or clients
- working with other practitioners
- working within the healthcare system
- minimising risk
- maintaining professional performance
- professional behaviour and ethical conduct
- ensuring practitioner health
- teaching, supervising and assessing, and
The code goes on to note:
Making decisions about healthcare is the shared responsibility of the practitioner and the patients or clients (or their representative).
Relationships based on openness, trust and good communication will enable practitioners to work in partnership with their patients or clients. An important part of the practitioner-patient/client relationship is effective communication, in all forms, including in-person, written and electronic.
Practitioners have ethical and legal obligations to protect the privacy of people requiring and receiving care. Patients or clients have a right to expect that practitioners and their staff will hold information about them in confidence unless the information is required to be released by law or public interest considerations.
Practitioners need to obtain informed consent for the care that they provide to their patients or clients. Caring for children and young people brings additional responsibilities for practitioners.
Good practice involves genuine efforts to understand the cultural needs and contexts of different patients or clients to obtain good health outcomes. Practitioners need to be aware that some patients or clients have additional requirements and modify their approach appropriately.
Good practice involves understanding and applying risk minimisation and management to practice.
Maintaining and developing our knowledge, skills, and professional behaviour are central aspects of such good practice.
To these overall standards Mayfield Dental Care adds the following resolutions:
- We resolve to treat people, not just teeth. We get to know each of our patients. We measure success on the long-term relationships we build with our patients and their families, not only the dental care we provide.
- We resolve to be trustworthy. We only recommend treatments that we would recommend for ourselves or our families. We treat patients with honesty, fairness and the utmost respect.
- We resolve to be clean, safe, and responsible. We adhere to the highest cleanliness and sterilisation guidelines to make certain our patients and team are safe and clean. We worry about the cleanliness of our office and tools, so you don’t have to!
- We are committed to excellence in dentistry and provide the highest quality of dental care and patient education for patients of all ages and circumstances. We are dedicated to ongoing education for all members of our team. Continuing education ensures that our patients receive the best possible care made possible by clinical and technological advancements in dentistry.
- We resolve to demonstrate our care. We believe that compassion and excellent dental care go hand in hand; therefore we do all we can to ensure our patients receive both. Questions are always welcome as informed patients make better oral health decisions.
- We resolve to stay on the cutting edge. Our practice was built with the goal of providing a modern, comfortable atmosphere. We use the latest in dental technology to provide our patients with the highest quality of dental care and comfort.
- We resolve to be affordable. We offer reasonable pricing on our dental services and support to ensure that quality dental care is possible for all of our patients and their families.
- We resolve to be a one-stop-shop. Our practice was built to offer a comprehensive set of dental services in one practice. Our dental services include preventative dentistry, general and restorative dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry.
Making a Better Dental Future at Mayfield Dental Care
Mayfield Dental Care provides excellence in dentistry with the slogan, “Customer satisfaction must be our topmost priority”. Our guiding principles are innovation, culture and care. Our equipment is cutting-edge, and our outlook is forward-looking to provide you with the best dental experience you have ever had.
Our dental clinic is conveniently located in Mayfield, on the corner of the Pacific Highway and Hanbury St. Public transportation is nearby.
Mayfield Dental Care has world-class dental and orthodontic specialists, cutting-edge technology, caring support staff who are extremely experienced in the field, and a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Mayfield Dental Care serves the local communities in Wallsend, North Lambton, Lambton, Jesmond, Cookshill, Islington, Stockton, Waratah West, Wickham, Georgetown, Hamilton South, Broadmeadow, Charlestown, Hamilton, Kotara, Mayfield West, Newcastle, Warabrook, and Waratah.
Call us on (02) 4023 3885 or visit us at 181 Maitland Rd in Mayfield.